We have taken the decision to close our accommodation initially until 1st May.  We had put incredibly strict hygiene measures in place but we just don’t feel that we can justify welcoming guests on a break whilst the government is advising against non-essential travel.

 We are just a collection of individual places in the middle of a huge nature reserve, so on the face of it, we’re offering a low risk escape into nature – something so many could benefit from at this time.

And only just a couple of days ago we posted to say that we were still open and welcoming guests.  In the current climate, however, things are moving and changing so fast.  And we have spent the last 48 hours agonizing over whether we should be open.

There has been no mention in government advice that holiday accommodation should close, so it has become the personal choice of the traveller.  And we are left in limbo.  For a business to close when there is still high demand and no official reason for closure seems ludicrous…or would seem ludicrous in normal times.

The more we seem to know about the disease, the more irresponsible and uncomfortable we feel being open.  Now that we know that government will support the jobs of our staff, our priority has to be the safety of them and their families, our local community and of course our guests themselves.

We are by no means writing this to say that this is what other sites should do.  We have taken this decision based on our business and our judgement.  We operate on a short stay basis and we are also very fortunate that we are very busy through the winter months. 

If you have booked to stay with us over the coming weeks, we do understand that you may be upset with this decision.  And we really are so sorry – we know that a stay with us isn’t simply a frivolous luxury, and now more than ever an escape into nature is what so many need to help in these anxious times.  We really do hope that you will come again when we feel confident we can welcome you safely.

We will be contacting you directly to let you know and to process your cancellation.  You can choose to postpone your stay or exchange for credit,  which although it has been our choice to close and cancel your stay we really do hope you will consider, if you are able, to ensure we can welcome you again.

We are so grateful for the support everyone has shown us during this time.  It is a hugely difficult time for all, so thank you.  It really means the world to us, and knowing we have such a strong and supportive community has really given us the confidence to make this terrifying decision.

We cannot wait to get the next few months over and welcome you again, and in the meantime stay safe and keep well.

With our very best wishes

Georgina and Gareth